If you are browsing our website, you are definitely interested in magnets, but you may not have heard of neodymium magnets. So what are neodymium magnets? What are the applications of neodymium magnets? What’s the history of neodymium magnets? What makes them so unique? In this article, we’ll try to answer the above questions.
Neodymium magnets are also called NdFeB magnets, whose main components are the rare earth elements neodymium (Nd), iron (Fe), and boron (B). Neodymium Magnets are currently the strongest magnets available on the market and are called the king of magnets. They have high magnetic properties, and their maximum energy product (BH)max is more than 10 times that of ferrite magnets. Neodymium iron boron has excellent machining performance and the working temperature is up to 200 °C. Moreover, neodymium magnets have stable performance and good cost performance, so they are widely used in various industries.
The application range of NdFeB magnets is as follows:
1. The electroacoustic field: speakers, receivers, microphones, alarms, stage audio, car audio, etc.
2. The electronic appliances: permanent magnet mechanism vacuum circuit breaker, magnetic holding relay, watt-hour meter, water meter, sound meter, reed switch, sensor, etc.
3. The motor field: VCM, CDDVD-ROM, generators, motors, servo motors, micro-motors, vibration motors, etc.
4. The mechanical equipment: magnetic separation, magnetic separator, magnetic crane, magnetic machinery, etc.
5. The medical and health care: nuclear magnetic resonance instrument, medical equipment, magnetic therapy health products, magnetized fuel economizer, etc.
6. Other industries: magnetized wax preventer, pipe descaler, magnetic fixture, automatic mahjong machine, magnetic lock, door and window magnet, stationery magnet, luggage magnet, leather magnet, toy magnet, tool magnet, craft gift packaging, etc.
The NdFeB magnet was discovered in 1982 by Masato Sagawa of Sumitomo Special Metals, Japan. The magnetic energy product (BH)max of this magnet is greater than that of a samarium cobalt magnet, which is the material with the largest magnetic energy product in the world at that time. Later, Sumitomo Special Metals successfully developed the powder metallurgy method, and General Motors successfully developed the melt-spinning process, which was able to prepare NdFeB magnets. This kind of magnet is currently the most powerful permanent magnet and the most commonly used rare earth magnet.
1. NdFeB permanent magnet has the advantages of extremely high magnetic energy product and coercivity, and high energy density.
2. NdFeB magnets have a strong magnetic force and are currently the strongest magnetic materials. They are widely used and cost-effective.
3. NdFeB magnets have good mechanical properties and can be easily processed into various shapes, including special-shaped magnets.
4. NdFeB magnets have high accuracy and their tolerance can be controlled to ±0.02mm.
Thank you for reading our article and we hope it can help you to have a better understanding of what are neodymium magnets. If you want to know more about NdFeB magnets or other types of magnets, we would like to advise you to visit Stanford Magnets for more information.
As a leading magnet supplier across the world, Stanford Magnets has been involved in R&D, manufacturing, and sales of magnets since the 1990s. It provides customers with high-quality permanent magnets like neodymium magnets, SmCo magnets, AlNiCo magnets, and ferrite magnets (ceramic magnets) at a very competitive price.