Nowadays, with the improvement of consumers’ spending power, the toy market is developing rapidly. For example, more and more types of toys with powerful functions can be found on the market today. In the face of the dazzling array of toys on the market, many children will choose magnetic toys. Moreover, many parents also buy magnetic toys for their children, thinking that they can enhance their spatial thinking ability, creativity，and imagination. However, do you know that some toy magnets can be harmful to children if used incorrectly?
Magnetic Toys Can Cause Permanent Damage to Children
The risks of magnetic toys are mainly reflected in the following two aspects.
On the one hand, children accidentally swallow or inhale small magnetic parts or balls, which may cause suffocation.
On the other hand, if a child swallows two or more strong magnets, or a strong magnet and other ferromagnetic objects like iron, cobalt, and nickel, the magnet will attract another magnet or ferromagnetic object in the digestive system and exert pressure on the intestinal wall, which may cause gastrointestinal perforation or intestinal obstruction. In severe cases, it may be life-threatening. In many cases, these magnetic components need to be removed surgically, causing permanent damage to children’s digestive tract.
Parents Should Be Cautious When Buying Magnetic Toys for Their Children
Therefore, when you buy magnetic toys for your children, be sure to check the product instructions and product labels are complete, and according to the applicable age of magnetic toys, choose the magnetic toys suitable for your children.
In particular, pay attention to whether there are small magnetic parts in the product, especially the small strong magnetic parts with magnetic flux index ≥50kG2mm2. When purchasing a magnetic toy, you should ask the seller for an invoice or other shopping vouchers as an important voucher for rights protection in the future.
In addition, try not to let children under the age of 8 play with toys containing small strong magnetic parts, to prevent children from accidentally swallowing or inhaling small magnetic parts, causing suffocation, intestinal perforation, and other injuries. If your children are 8 years old and above, before you let them play such toys, you should read the relevant warning instructions carefully, make good supervision, and give them necessary reminders to prevent accidents.
If you find that your child has swallowed or inhaled the magnetic small parts by mistake, or your child has sudden abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, and other clinical symptoms suspected of swallowing the small magnetic parts, you should immediately send your child to the doctor for treatment.
Thank you for reading our article and we hope this article can help you know better the dangers of the strong magnets and magnetic toys. If you want to know more about magnets, we would like to recommend you to visit the Stanford Magnets for more information.
Stanford Magnets is a leading magnet supplier across the world who has been involved in R&D, manufacturing, and sales of magnets since the 1990s. It provides customers with high-quality rare earth permanent magnetic products such as neodymium magnets, and other non-rare earth permanent magnets at a very competitive price.